Whether the problem is too much focus on work or too little, when your work life and your personal life feel out of balance, often times stress, along with its harmful effects, is the result. The good news is that most can take control of stress levels by giving yourself the time to do the things that are most important to you. When life literally is beginning to feel “out of control” or “lopsided” and you feel off kilter, give yourself the gift of time to restore balance. Consider disconnecting as much as necessary for stress reduction and the restoration of balance.
When we make the conscious choice to take a vacation here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Anticipate having a wonderful time
- If something goes wrong or not according to plan, try to see the humor in it and move on.
- Once you’re settled in and go exploring, allow yourself to “get lost”. ie: don’t have your nose glued to a map.
- Know key phrases in the language.
- Take some downtime every day or a siesta to relax and recharge.
- Take extra time for family when you’re visiting…
- Stay unconnected to the internet, phone, TV, newspaper for as much and as long as possible.
- Bring home meaningful mementos-souvenirs-photos.
- Compromise as much as possible with your travel mate(s) – After all,
you are together to have a good time.
On your return trip, try mentally “reliving” the highlights of your time away, like a slide show that you may access in the future for a few relaxed moments. No guilt!