Do you make these statements often?: “not the right time now” “why even bother…can happen (worst case scenario).”
Sometimes the act of “non-doing” is an indication that the idea needs to be tossed.
What holds us back from accomplishing our goals is fear.
- Fear of failure
- Fear of being judged
- Fear of success
- Fear of being controlled
These fears are often caused by deeply routed anxieties. No matter- you can turn it all around with EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques: Meridian Tapping) combined with positive language-visualization reframing techniques and the intention to do just that!
If these kind of things keep happening to you, you have a problem:
- If you’ve experienced painful consequences as a result of putting things off or not finishing projects.
- If you are sick and tired of being late with deadlines
- If your friends, coworkers or loved ones get upset with you because you don’t follow through with projects or promises.
The following are common phrases/excuses people often use when they are procrastinating:
The task is:
“too time consuming”
“I just don’t feel like it”
“I just don’t want to”.
Good news! Here are some tips to Reverse Procrastination:
- Step back and reframe the situation; visualize the action as a positive outcome.
- Outline the steps needed to complete the project.
- Create realistic timelines and write short and long term goals; breaking down the task into reasonable “time chunks”.
- Allow new ideas to “percolate”.
- Learn The EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique), wonderfully successful in reversing procrastination, as usually deeper emotional issues are involved. This technique is described below.
Knowing that you are afraid will not magically remove fear or change behavior. You can use The EFT Technique to eradicate the roadblocks of guilt and fear that keep you from moving forward! When you use EFT (Emotional Freedom technique, Tapping) and stimulate specific acupressure points the level of serotonin in the brain rises and floods the amygdala, the section of the brain involved with controlling emotion and fear, and the fear loop is disconnected. Once the brain stops experiencing fear with the proper EFT tapping, including set-up phrases (see below examples) and intuitive NLP language guidance from an experienced EFT Practitioner, you will find that your thoughts and behaviors transform effortlessly. You can use EFT to tap away feelings of guilt, shame or rebellion surrounding your fear factor. Some of the “have-to’s” turn into choose to’s! Use EFT to eradicate the roadblocks of doubt that keep you from moving forward! Before you do the EFT, “take your temperature “on the issue- what is your level of distress with the procrastination or the level of procrastination itself, 10 being the highest. After completing 3 rounds of EFT, see your score. Tap on the specific issue daily, until it gets done or you decide to toss it.
Here are a few EFT “set up phrases” that can be helpful in working with procrastination:
- “Even though I am procrastinating about…, I know it’s important and I can get it done.”
- “Even though I keep putting off doing…I choose to get started today.”
- “Even though I am resisting..I know I can do it.”
The set-up phrase is said as you tap on the karate chop point or the “sore spot”.
After completing three rounds of tapping, sit back, take several relaxation breaths (in through the nose, out through the nose or mouth abdomen expanding before your chest) and visualize the completed outcome of your task. Write down realistic, measurable step into goals. Decide when you will take the first action step and stay with your plan. When the task is completed, reward yourself!!
Positive results after several rounds of tapping need to be followed up. Check in with yourself. Be honest. There’s no such thing as too much tapping, too much visualization or too much relaxation breathing (happening in a safe and healthy environmentJ).
Short term challenge: Continue tapping on your current procrastination issue daily until you are satisfied with your action steps.
Long Term Challenge: Take time every day to go over your goals and reprioritize when necessary. Notice if any there is anything new being procrastinated about and tap on that for several days until you are satisfied with the results.
FREE 20 minute phone consult: www.balanceandpower.com 516 623 4353