Finding work-life balance in today’s frenetically paced world is no simple task. Spend more time at work than at home, and you miss out on a rewarding personal life. Then again, when you face challenges in your personal life, such as caring for an aging parent or coping with marital problems, concentrating on your job can be difficult.
Whether the problem is too much focus on work or too little, when your work life and your personal life feel out of balance, stress — along with its harmful effects — is the result.
The good news is that you can take control of your work-life balance — and give yourself the time to do the things that are most important to you. Give yourself the gift of time to restore balance-reduce stress:
- Take Cleansing Breaths: Three sets of deep inhalations through the nose (belly rising) and exhaling through the nose, (abdomen deflating) can (temporarily) change your physiology.
- Stretch: Practice Office Yoga and the Moving Meditation® Fitness Program
throughout the day to release/reduce tension and increase energy.
- Walk: A five minute walk outside can change your mood and mindset.
- Listen to Music: A mood changer.
- Eat Peacefully: This aids the digestion and gives you “time away”. Leave your office!
- Allow Time: Give yourself extra time for the unexpected.
- Smile and Laugh: Humor has been proven effective in reducing stress.
There are several worksheets in my book “SOAR! with Resilience™” that address this topic and other related ones. Find out more about this interactive book and purchase: http://www.balanceandpower.com/soarwithresilience.php